40 Aspirations Before 40 Years of Life
Its been a few years since a friend turned 40-years-old and celebrated the milestone on Facebook with some wise words. For starters, I had no idea she was that much older than me. Her persona is nothing that I expected the age to represent; on-trend, still-evolving, a child the same age as mine… and totally at peace with who she had become in four decades. Her life was enigmatic, full of purpose and I was so inspired!
I’ve got several more years until I turn forty. Technically a millennial, I feel a world away from the evolved, confident woman my friend has grown to be. But I’m getting there! After my trip to Cuba last year, so many of my worldviews have changed… my whole identity has changed.
So, while the big 4-0 won’t be knocking for several more years, here are 40 things I want to do and accomplish, ways I want to feel, relationships that need to be nurtured and intentions I wish to pursue as I continue to be blessed with another year of life…
My List of 40 Before 40
1.Be debt free (other than our mortgage) starting Financial Peace University this year!
2. Raise money to build a home for a mother in need New Story Campaign launching in 2017!
3. Live in Latin America for an entire summer
4. Take my family to Cuba happening 2017!
5. Celebrate my 40th with a trip to Africa (holy moly, I can’t believe I just typed that)
6. Celebrate Alina’s 10th birthday in a BIG way
7. Learn how to/routinely meditate
8. Renew marriage vows on 10th wedding anniversary
9. Document my Mother-in-Law’s story of moving from the South to California
10. Feel sexy
12. Maintain a healthy* weight and BMI
13. Play on a soccer team again
14. Start a travel photography series on the blog
15. Take a class in landscape photography
16. Spend a weekend away with my grandmother, mom and daughter
17. Visit all the National Parks in the Western United States
18. Take a wood working/carpentry class
19. Take a trip abroad with just a carry-on suitcase
20. Make our picture books from 2010-present just finished our 2016 album!
21. Throw a party for my husband (because he’s amazing)
22. Stand on stage and give a speech happening 2017 as a Disney Storyteller for #WeAllGrow Latina!
23. Donate a family/child photography session to a mom who loves beautiful pictures but otherwise can’t afford a professional photo shoot
24. Take a Spanish class in Latin America to improve fluency
25. Read 3 classic novels in Spanish
26. Still cuddle my kids as casually and often as I do now
27. Take a sewing class with my son so he can design/make his own superhero costumes
28. Work with National Geographic in some capacity
29. Spend the holidays in Florida with my dad
30. Gift my brother a surprise that brings him lots of joy
31. Take Alina to the Dog Bark Park Bed & Breakfast in Idaho
32. Take a month long road trip
33. Hike 20 miles in one day
34. Camp in Channel Islands National Park, Southern California
34. Get my hair highlighted for the first time in a decade
35. Put Tinker (our dog) in an agility class
36. Become a resource to our church family
37. Create a minimalist household; teach the kids why these values work for us
38. Organize a block party with my neighbors
39. Write a love letter to each of the women I “do life with”
40. Turn 40 years old with the intention to love myself more fully than ever before
And that’s it! I’ll update this list with links to newer posts as I accomplish each dream/aspiration.